Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Recapping the heaviest camp week I've ever experienced

Being here with 30+ Kamiak kids while they mourned the loss of their friends was a heavyweight bout.  It was an honor to walk with such great leaders from WestSnoCo and the a-team at Malibu. Brittany (pictured below) walked all the area in prayer and how to approach grieving. Thankful for her.  And ultimately, thankful for most of the Kamiak kids who re-committed their lives to stay connected to Jesus. Many had made past decisions, yet drifted away and lost connection. I was blessed to hear Griff facilitate their 'response' small group last night where they truly saw the urgency to stay connected with God, love others extravagantly, and stay in tight community with one another.

What came next was even harder. One of the Mariner HS kids, Terrell, whom the leaders and I have known and loved for 2 years, got a message from home to call his brother.  Nick, Justin, Dwan and I sat with him in the office as he learned that his mom died. He was filled with anger and sadness at once.  He ran into camp with a few friends and leaders with him.  Then huddled up to cry out and absorb this hurt that NO one ever wants to feel.  The loss of one's mom.  We gathered his friends from all over camp during the last nights' free time.  They and the girls from Mariner all huddled around him, crying. A boat driver summer staffer from Arizona jumped in and prayed in the midst of this.  He prayed for Terrell's mom that God has her in a place with no suffering, and that she is in good hands. And that God would lift up Terrell.  Jeffrey, Nick, Justin Y, and his classmates and I all surrounded him, all crying, and T, with his intense personality, yet brand spanking new faith, began to pour out words, prayers and requests. 

While he was in intense grieving, he called out to all who were with and around him "I lost my damn mom.  No one wants to lose their mom.  She's gone.  I can't have her back.  I can't tell her I love her. I can't apologize. You all have your moms.  God is going to make a purpose with this. Y'all, all of you need to love your moms.  I can't pour out my heart to my mom and tell her I love her, and pray for her, so you need to. You need to pray for your moms right now.  When you get home, you need to look her in the yes and tell your mom that you love her, tell her everything that happened this week, and everything you've been hiding from her. Promise me you will do this.  Promise me RIGHT NOW!  If you did something bad, or had sex, or lied, you go tell her right when you get home.  God is going to get me through this, and we are going to have each others backs, but you all need to love your moms." 

Later, when me moved locations since it was 12:30 at this point, he called out:  "If Jesus died on the cross for me, then I can give my life for others.  I made a commitment to Jesus TODAY here at Malibu, and I am going to trust him on this. I am going to comfort others who are hurting like I am being comforted right now."

"We need to take to heart what we are learning this week.  About Not being selfish.  We need to be selfless.  We were full of disrespect all week and in cabin times and we need to stop that garbage."

"What gives me peace is that my mom is in heaven.  I have given my life to Jesus, and my mom is with Jesus in heaven.  I will live my life to honor my mom and reunite with her in Heaven.  Ohhhh, heaven!  My mind hurts even thinking about heaven. God has made us a better place and my mom is there.  Before this week, I don't think I was going there, but now I am." 

"You guys are my family.  I can tell by the fact that it is 1am and you all are around me, crying with me, being by my side, YOU are my family.  You love me and I love you, we have each others back."

Our camp musician Tyson Motsenbocker said: "It was the top 3 most profound things I've ever seen 
in my life." Co head leaders were blown away at how in the midst of greiving especially Jeffrey Chambers (Chelan YL) who felt the Holy Spirit moving powerfully through him and the community of leaders, classmates, a boat driver and others that huddled around him.  I had never seen anything like it.  Think about this.  A 16 year old who just started a relationship with Jesus fully embraced God's love, perspective, and hope.  Not only so, but literally gave a theologically, rock-solid TED talk-caliber message to over 30 people in the midst of his deepest sadness and pain he's ever experienced.  It truly was miraculous.  Deeply painful, yet undeniable that God's Holy Spirit was present, evident, and stirring up kids to live deeper in love with God and one another, and lastly, to "LOVE YO DAMN MOM...because if you HAVE a MOM, you BETTER love her and pray for her RIGHT NOW...and I want to hear you SAY a damn AMEN when you DONE praying!" -Terrell Santos

This last pic was the Mariner guys praying before heading out on water taxis.  All in all, 1/6th of the room of all the kids stood up at say so, and over 2/3 of the camp stood up to express they are making a re-commitment of faith and relationship with God. A unique scene for sure.

THANKS for praying, reading and these kids need more prayers.  Pray for Terrell as he heads home into absolute pain and loss.  And, pray for 368 campers from Spokane, Ellensburg, Coeur D'Alene/Post Falls, and Walla Walla and Bellingham.  Thanks.    -jeff- 

No comments:

Post a Comment