Friday, June 16, 2017

Father and Son: Reunited

Father and Son: Reunited

The book with the most impact on my life was Henri Nouwen’s book, The Return of the Parodical Son. I had figured that I had graduated past the point of leaving the Fat6her in hopes of the distant lands, yet I still do it and keep needing to returned home and be taken in by the gracious re-welcoming and reinstatement. The invitation in the book powerfully stated that we are to become as the Father, humbling ourselves to welcome and extend grace to those who left us. That invitation has become my dance to the past year and it’s been painful and stretching. 

In the summer of 2015, we as a family prayer virtually every day for the opportunity and calling to move to Eastern Washington to be regional director. We prayerfully and courageously accepted, after being convinced that God was calling us. I started September 2015 and we moved January 31, 2016. February 1, Dietrich changed his mind and no longer wanted to accept this new calling, he wanted out. 

His life became one marked with deep sadness, obstinance, anger, and discouragement from family and school. He rejected counseling, advice, input, invitations, to believe and hope, became inconsolable. Summer brought relief, yet mid fall his pain returned with even deeper emotion. This remained and hit its deepest low before, during and after spring break. He became coldly rude, unwilling to obey, and returned to destructive patterns we’d seen in the spring. We began to use a safe hold, which brought hatred and more anger. Easter, he began to repeat phrases for thirty minutes straight,” When are we done with this trip?” He did this three times and I took him to the hospital. From then until early June, he did not speak to me, which included twenty-seven days in a row. Where he completely shut me out of his life. This was deeply frustrating, hurtful, infuriating inefficient, and somewhat fascinating and impressive how skilled he was at it. So many times, when I spent time with him, asked him questions, made requests, tried to engage with him, yet was met with complete rejection, ignored, and disrespected. I literally wanted to punish him, hurt him, grab his face and force him to respond to me, acknowledge me, and have a functional relationship with me. I wanted to demand him to love me again.
Then I considered how this has been a parallel to my relationship with God. How I shut Him out, ignored His voice, pretending He wasn’t there as I did as I felt. God asked other people to speak to me, as I did through Janna and Tanya. I realized that it was my turn to be the “father.” To ache in the heart, yet continue to wait for my son to “come home.” To initiate knocking on his door, love while he was still in sin, to forgive him,” …for he knows not what he does…” and offer unconditional love with no response. It seemed to be foolish, unsuccessful, enabling posture to choose to not force or discipline, or punish him for his hurtful, vindictive, manipulative, stance against me. So many intelligent people urged me to not just let him get away with this. I agreed that my passive response, yet lovingly initiating proximity, being “for” him and showing love, was potentially a losing formula. Yet, it’s the one God showed me and the worth.  

In the midst of our rejection, rebellion, and ignoring, He forgave He paid the price, He rose again, and initiated all the more, giving power and authority to others to share good news, truth, and love with folks like me who otherwise had shut it out with our lives. This was the model set before me and one that I had to pray and with the support of Jesus, close friends, mentors, and Tanya, to live out towards Dietrich. I felt unsuccessful. Days and weeks passed with continued unsuccessfulness and ongoing rejection. I wanted to abandon the approach; hit the eject button for this fight of futility, my gut and my mind compelled me to grab his head, yell, and demand he stops and just recognize me again and do what I say. Yet, Christ’s love compelled me to keep initiating him, loving, being close and waiting for him to return from the distant land, back to his father. 

Last week, the return began. Although there was no speech prepared, no major brokenness or apology, he returned to me. I asked him a question about the sunset and about what movie he’d like to see next. He answered. We talked. We laughed, I entered my Netflix account info in the iPad and we watched Mastermind. No fattened calf was barbecued, the elder daughter and I looked at each other with dramatic, widened eyes of disbelief, silently mouthing words of awe and delight. I just rolled with the rest of the evening and week. It’s been 10 days now and it feels like “home” again. I pray that we all recognize the need we each have to give and receive grace and that we love because Jesus first love us and that would be enough to love others without condition. 

Jeffrey R Huber

No comments:

Post a Comment