Thursday, August 16, 2018

God's dream come true

Here's a fun story about God's faithfulness as Jeff looks at the BIG picture of what God has called him/us to.

10 years ago, I (Jeff) spoke at our Young Life middle school ‘Wyldlife’ camp at ‘Canyon’ camp. After I said a prayer, concluding my second talk that first week, i saw all the kids get up to head to cabins and something hit me and it brought me to tears. Camp director Craig Hooper came up to the stage to comfort me that my ‘talk’ wasn’t THAT bad, but that wasn’t what triggered the tears.

10 years previous, it was early summer 1998, and I had taken a road trip to Ocean Shores to pray for God to direct me what to do next after I graduated from WWU with my communication and Russian degree. During a nap, God for the only time in my life, spoke to me in a dream. I was wearing a YL tee shirt, holding a Bible, speaking to 500 kids. I awoke from that nap with a complete confidence that God was leading me to come on staff with YL. 

So as that group of 650 campers got to leave for cabin time, the sight of them triggered that dream on the beach. I looked down at my YL tee shirt, with my Bible in hand and that kairos moment froze me in my tracks. 10 years after a crazy little dream on a beach that altered my course became fulfilled before my eyes. 

Fast forward another 10 years. Here I am at the same Washington Family Ranch camp, only next door at Creekside, and I’m speaking to middle school kids again. I connected with one of the summer staff guys who is a waterslide operator. I reminisced about 2008 and he said he was there as a camper with Vancouver/Clark Co. DeMarcus. I felt like I remembered him.   

Just before heading out the door to camp, I had brought a picture from when I spoke in 2008. My all-time fave Wyldlife leader, Robb Schreiber, snapped a pic of me and his cabin and printed it off as a thank you note to me for speaking into his kids lives. I dug it out of my bag yesterday and realized...the kid in the middle on the right...it’s DeMarcus! He was there too. 10 years later

No comments:

Post a Comment