Friday, December 18, 2015

Becoming a learner and eating fortune cookies

After returning from Creekside camp, having just been 'mooned' by God, I proactively sought counsel.  I met with my counselor Marty Folsom, whom I've met with for 17 years at least once a year. After deeply listening, as he excels and models to me to do, he ended our time with an invitation to me. "Jeff, consider taking on a season of being a 'learner' right now. Ask questions, interview people, take lots of notes, ask shameless questions. I acquiesced.

So the next few days, I met with some of my closest, most trusted friends in my small group. I called my lifelong best friend Mike who lives in DC who was my roomie in college 2 years and knows of my greatest capabilities for good and pure randomness. I talked with my fantasy football league. We prayed with our kids.  I interviewed the two former regional directors in Eastern WA. I talked to Brent Cunningham in Alaska and JC in Southern Idaho. I met with YL veterans Blacksmith, Scofield, and also Mason R. our WesternWA Regional Director to see if there were any opps within our region and listened to his take on the matter. I talked to my friend Kent, my own WestSnoCo YL staff and committee, area supporters, and my protege Ernie Merino.  During my meeting with Ernie at Changs Mongolian Grill, a place we have met together for 8 years, my fortune cookie had us screaming at the top of our lungs, yelling like college basketball fans who just saw a 5'7 point guard throw down a filthy slam dunk in the face of a 7 foot 6 defender. "Traveling to the east will bring you great rewards." Are you kidding me?

Before I was asked to 'put my name in the hat' for the regional director search, I had allowed others to speak into my life, I weighed their wisdom.  I was terrified to make a decision, yet was committed to follow what the Lord had asked me to do.  How open are we to invite wisdom, feedback, input and even correction from those we trust and respect when we know it could 'cost' us our comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment