Friday, December 18, 2015

When God MOONED me.

When the possibility of becoming the regional director of Young Life came up, the question we asked was 'how will we know if this is right?'

In late May, we were at the Young Life camp, Washington Family Ranch Creekside, I (Jeff) had a moment of divine clarity.  On Saturday May 24th, my birthday, I sat alone during a 20 minute time we gave the high school campers to pray and listen to the Lord speak to them. As I found a spot to sit, I sensed God's Holy Spirit whisper to me 'look up, I am going to speak to you by what you see.'  This already was starting to sound odd. I looked up, awaiting perhaps a shooting star with a phrase that would be spelled out with star dust. Then, my eyes fixed on the moon (see pic attached, I was so moved by the experience that I took a pic with my non-hobble-telescope iPhone5.) It was a half moon. The left side was completely darkened and the right side was beaming with brightness. Then the Lord God spoke to me "I want you to be a light to the east side of the state." I sat dumbfounded, befuddled, bamboozled, and looking for an excuse to ignore and reason away what I had just received as an invitation from God. Has that ever happened to you? God speaks...you immediately come up with reasons to reason away God's unreasonable invitation to you?

I did what we asked campers NOT to do. I walked to my girlfriend in the middle of the quiet time and started distracting her. As I approached her, she started laughing. Violent laughing. I barked: "WHAT? Why are you laughing?" Her answer stopped me in my tracks: "Was God speaking to you too?"

Uh Oh!  Spaghetti-Os!

She began to show me her journal entry during the past 15 minutes. God speaks to Tanya 'through her pen,' she often explains. She hears and writes during meaningful prayer times. This was one. On her journal were these back-and-forth conversations:

Tanya, would you give me everything you hold dear?
Yes God, I would.
Would you give up your job that you LOVE for me?
Well, that would be hard, but I know it was a gift from you...yes, God I would.
Tanya, I want you to work more closely with Jeff than you ever have before.
Okay, I'm in.

(then I walked up with my 'deer-in-headlights' look on my face after the whole 'moon' thing.

Well...we both knew God was up to SOMETHING from here on out!

May we A) listen openly. B) write down what we hear and C) not reason it away as unreasonable when God speaks to us.  DO you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment